PREVIOUS SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
Family-professional partnerships help ensure health care programs and policies are appropriate and well-utilized. While including parents as equal members of their child’s care team is an accepted standard for pediatric care, the core principles of family engagement have not been widely adopted as drivers of health care systems improvement. Learn about two statewide projects – a parent leadership training program and a hospital learning collaborative – and their efforts to integrate families as equal partners in addressing system issues.
A lively conversation about this evolving partnership and what it really takes to foster an effective and sustainable collaboration; with audience Q&A.
Alison’s outtakes from an Autism Society of Los Angles, Parent Empowerment Project production, in 2019.
A California Department of Developmental Services (DSS) grant-funded project to reduce disparities, in services offered to and utilized by, regional center clients of African American and Latino ethnicities.
Colorful, PowerPoint slide presentation Alison gave at the FVCA Health Summit in 2017.
In 2012, the Mattel Children’s Hospital UCLA Parent Advisory Council identified areas for improvement in the care of pediatric patients within the UCLA Emergency Department. A successful long-term partnership was formed, resulting in new protocols that directly improve patient care; improving care in the Emergency Department through a successful parent advisory council partnership.
A UCLA Mattel Children’s Hospital Parent Advisory Council video on what central line (central IV access) care means to them. Video was used in-house for training purposes.
Extensive experience speaking in front of varied audiences: physicians, RNs, financial backers, legislators, general population. Notable speaking appearances include:
- Presenter: Stories from the Field: Building a Transformative Partnership with Families and Clinicians, 2019
- Presenter: Family Voices of CA Project Leadership Alumni Luncheon, Los Angeles 2019
- Panel Presenter: Family Voices of CA Health Summit, Sacramento 2018
- Presenter: International Patient Family-Centered Care Conference, NYC 2016
- Presenter: National Emergency Nurses Association Conference, Los Angeles 2016
- Patient Family Representative: UCLA Re-Igniting the Spirit of Caring, monthly (1/2017-ongoing): workshop provides an opportunity for participants to reconnect with their reason for choosing to work in a healing profession, to reaffirm those core values and to reignite their commitment to caring and making a positive difference every day in the lives of patients, families, and colleagues.
- Patient Family Representative: UCLA Mattel Children’s Noon Physician Conferences, (2015-ongoing): “Telling my Story” in a fireside chat format to provide the patient/family perspective to Pediatric Residents.